7-14-2021 Dispatcher – Waterloo IA
BASIC FUNCTION: Train Dispatchers are responsible for receiving and transmitting track warrants, messages, compiling information, directing train movements, preparing reports and scheduling crews.
- Use computers and radio communications to control the safe movement of trains throughout Iowa Northern Railway Company’s rail network.
- Work together with the Engineer to discuss timetables, routes and cargo.
- Constantly monitor train movement and conditions affecting their movement, taking immediate action when necessary.
- Communicate instructions to crews pertaining to the switching and other movement of railcars.
- Use a Computer Aided Dispatching system to efficiently and safely route trains.
- Receive and transmit track warrants.
- Prepare reports.
- Schedule crews.
- Car accounting and clerical duties.
Education, Licenses/Certifications and Work Experience
Education: High school graduate or equivalent required.
Must successfully pass rules examinations.
Work Experience: Minimum three years relevant experience in a fast paced work environment (Transportation, Logistics or Rail Operations preferred).
Vehicle/Driving License: Must have your own transportation and be able to travel. Must have a valid driver’s license with no more than 3 violations in the last 3 years and no major violations (i.e. reckless operations or D.U.I.’s).
Drug/Alcohol Testing: Dispatchers are subject to random alcohol and drug testing per the Federal Railroad Administration Guidelines.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities, and Mental Requirement
- Ability to speak clearly.
- Ability to operate computer devices and auxiliary equipment.
- Ability to read and understand operating and safety rules.
- Ability to effectively communicate instructions to crews.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt in a fast-paced, pressure-filled work environment with changing priorities.
- Exercise good judgment, analyze problems and take corrective action.
Frequently (34% to 66%) required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop or kneel, and use fingers and hands to manipulate tools or controls. Must occasionally (up to 33%) lift, move and/or carry up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required include the ability to identify and distinguish colors displayed on a video monitor and video display in order to read track labels, switch indicator lights and other safety sensitive indicators.
Job will generally be performed in an office environment. Dispatcher must be available to work outside of a traditional work week, including weekends and holidays. Must be capable of working independently.
The statements stated in this job description reflect the general duties as necessary to describe the basic function, essential job duties/responsibilities, job requirements, physical requirements and working conditions typically required, and should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of the job. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
If you think this opportunity is right for you, please submit your resume and cover letter today. Jobs@iowanorthern.com
Pre-employment background check and drug test required.